Kiribati Institute of Technology offers two Certificate II qualifications in the area of Plumbing which cover Drainage and Metal Roofing & Cladding, and a local Certificate III Skillset in Water Plumbing. These courses provide students with foundational skills and knowledge for entry level positions in the plumbing industry and are ideally suited to the Kiribati context.
- Apply occupational health and safety regulations, policies, codes and practices in the workplace
- Install connections from PUB to the inside of a house
- Calculate pipe size and lay pipes correctly
- Install vents
- Install septic systems
- Install storm water drains
- Fix roof sheets and walls to a house
- Installation of roof sheets, wall cladding and flashing to a house
- Install several different types of pipes
- Connect the water supply to appliances at the home
- Install appliances and test the installation
Studying to be a plumber at Kiribati Institute of Technology and completing the three courses above takes two and a half years full time study. During the first term, all students undertake the Vocational Preparation course.